Sunday 24 August 2014

Well one week later and 10 trips to the dump to drop off the brush and tree branches and the lot is beginning to look a lot better. Nice thing is the brush will be chipped at the dump and used as a mix in their recycling stream for their organic waste cooker. As well this morning a couple came by and we cut down two cherry trees and one apple tree, they now have a few pickup truck loads of firewood. I still have possibly two more trips to the dump. I have one pine tree left at the front of the lot and if the company that installed the sewers does not come by and clean up the trees and brush they dug up to install the sewer and water lines, I will then also have to clean that debris up as well. So now for the before and after pictures here they are.



I also believe that I now have all the paperwork required for the building permit application. So on Monday morning I will be at City Hall filling in my application. The city has up to 2 weeks to look over it and either approve or deny or request more information. I'm hoping they don't take that long and that within the week I have my building permit. Once this is approved then I need to order my SIP panels and arrange for the basement contracting to start. I also need to then finalize and order the trusses as well. The truss people told me it would be around 6 weeks from day of deposit left to truss delivery, so I need to get on them right away. So I have my Basement company, Cotton Industries, my Framing contractor, Harder Carpentry, my Roofing contractor, Dykstra Roofing more or less lined up and ready to go. Timing will now be the critical thing.

I mentioned last week that I was heading to Lowes to get some Blu wood for the basement bearing wall. Well this turned into an interesting lesson. I really thought this Blu wood was more prevalent. The product has all the endorsement it needs in Southern Ontario with people like Mike Holmes, Brian Baumler, and Scott McGillivray. These are local HGTV hosts who are also home contractors. However it turns out only Lowes carries the stuff in Ontario and they only carry 8ft lengths. They can order other lengths however the price was double the price of a standard 2by6. Unfortunately found this out after I bought my 8ft pieces to use as studs for the main bearing wall. So instead of using 12ft sill plates for this wall I'll just use 8ft pieces and ensure I place my anchor bolts carefully.

I also have decided that I will install a relatively pricey door in the front entrance. This door will be a 7'6" tall Mission style door with appropriate window and exterior shelf under window. As well this door will have a three point locking system. I think I may also have gotten lucky in that I have found another brand new door that also has three point locking system but normal size for almost a 1/3 of what it is worth. Only issue will be getting a locksmith to cut new keys for the door as they have gone missing.

Other than that not much else to talk about. I spent most of my week out on the site cleaning brush. And believe me cutting down a double row of cedar bushes/trees was not fun. It may have been a great tunnel/play area for the kids, but it was dirty messy work cleaning it up. So until next week have a great week.

Harold

No comments:

Post a Comment