Thursday 1 September 2016

I hate getting old.

Well I guess I should clarify the title. For the last week I've been plagued with lower back soreness such that I could not go to work this week at all. Also means I've done very little around the house. Sitting or lying around doing nothing is monotonous and boring. Oh well I now have some stronger Dr prescribed drugs hopefully they will help.

With that in mind I might as well update you what has happened this past month. Well during the first two weeks I essentially made and then installed the vanity for the spare bathroom. I made this all from Maple hardwood and Maple plywood. I also used Baltic Birch for the door insert panels. I started by making a 7ft tall by 2ft wide linen tower. This unit has one fixed shelf in the middle. In the pictures below you can see the basic carcass with a lot of clamps holding on the face trim I just glued on with biscuits. The carcass is maple plywood and the face frame is maple hardwood. The third shot shows it during a trial fit in the bathroom. Once I marked what needed to be removed for a tighter fit brought it back to the shop for work and varathaning.




Once the carcass was installed I moved on to building the sink base cabinet. This was built using the same material with a bank of drawers either side of the central sink. Here is a picture of the cabinet under construction and in place for fitment. Once it was fitted I left it there and trimmed it out in place. After sanding the trim I varathaned it in place.


We then commenced work on the drawers and doors. The drawers are a Baltic Birch box with a hardwood maple face and the doors are 3" wide rail and stiles with a 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood panel. Here are some pictures during construction and after installation. Everything was coated with Polyurethane. I sprayed the drawers with water based poly and the doors and drawer fronts got three coats of the oil modified polyurethane I've been using throughout the house.


I also took the time to finish spreading out the decorative stone around the house and to request a final survey from the surveyors for use during final inspection. Here is a picture showing the last of the stone spread out.

With this all done I finished the last of the door trim and baseboard in the house. We also cleaned up the spare bedroom and made up the spare bed for future use. Towards the middle of the month I had the countertop people in to template the vanity top and hopefully we can get that installed either next week of the week after. Once their finished then I can hook up the sink and installed the towel bars etc. Finally last week I spent time making up some doors for the kitchen cabinets, particularly the 4 doors required for the lower cabinets. These are plain flat doors made up of glued up solid cherry wood. I decided this time to join them using my finger joint bit in the router table. We then cut them to size and did a trial fit in the kitchen. Once we happy with the fitment we uninstalled them and brought them back to the garage for 4 coats of polyurethane. Here are some photos showing the finger joint setup and then the doors preliminarily installed and then final installation.





So now all I need for the final inspection will be the survey papers. Hopefully these will come soon.
That's all for now and we'll see you again in a month or so.

Harold

No comments:

Post a Comment