Saturday 20 December 2014

Well it's time to write another dissertation on what happened at the job site this last week. Wasn't the busiest week however we're still plugging away at things. I'm grateful for the mild weather but worrying that we might get some strong wind storms before my roof gets a chance to set up. They're predicting another storm for Christmas with 70kmh winds so we'll see what happens. Anyway took Sunday off from work and went shopping instead. Lowes had a deal on using their credit card and getting 10% off your purchase so bought some OSB for the garage walls, as well as primer and semi gloss white paint for the ceiling and walls. Next time I'll stick with my local lumber yard. Their OSB is much better quality than what Lowes had for sale. It worked for the Garage but I was not impressed with their quality, pieces were flaking off left right and centre.

So back to work on Monday at the house. Today installed the OSB I had bought at Lowes the previous day. When those pieces were done since the weather was warm decided to start applying some primer on the ceiling to see how it went. I had a long pole that I started using with a roller at the end, however found this to tiring so climbed up on the scaffold and rolled it directly with no pole. This was a lot easier and even faster. The Electrician was at the house and hooked up my main panel to the meter base. Inspection will be on Tuesday and hopefully soon thereafter hydro will be live.
The HVAC guys also came down and installed all the black piping for the gas lines. Here are some pictures showing the work in the garage. First two show the work on the garage walls. Third photo shows the Drywall square I use with some pieces of tape to signify where I would nail the plywood so that all the nails were at 12, 24, 36inches in the main field of stud. Of course there would also be a nail at both edges.





On Tuesday picked up some more OSB at Penner's my local lumber yard and installed the majority however some sheets were wet due to the rain so I left those standing to dry and will finish the walls tomorrow on Wednesday. The Electrical inspector came and looked over the main panel installation and approved that all so now we are waiting for hydro to liven up the service. I had a talk with him about wiring my garage and he gave me some pointers as well as telling me the "sub" panel I bought was not correct for my application so will need to buy the correct one instead. Took an early afternoon so that was all the work I did today.

On Wednesday I finished the garage interior walls. I then decided that I should have a little roof over the man door into the garage to allow me a place to stand out of the rain when unlocking the door. So went out to Penner's and picked up some 4by4 and other materials and started to work on building the framework for this little stub roof. First two pictures show the finished walls in the garage. Third photo shows the framework for the little stub roof. Basically 4by4 notched together and then secured with long screws to each other and then into the studs of the garage wall.




On Thursday the Garage door people came and installed the garage door. This is where I found out my door opening was 1" larger on width than the door. So a little extra trim work will be needed to close the gap before the flashing goes on. It took them 3hrs to completely install the door and it looks and works great. During this time I worked on the roof for my man door and have it all done with the exception of the shingles which I'll do at a later time. Unfortunately I accidently deleted the photo I took of these two items so you'll have to wait till a later date to see them.

On Friday the Hydro company and livened up the panel. I now have normal hydro an will no longer need to rely on the generator for power. This also means I should be able to get power into the garage shortly and I'll be able to work at night under the lights. While the hydro was being installed I decided today was a decent day to finish off the small gable end over the side deck. This would also be a practice run before I do the bigger ones on the front and back of the house. Here is a picture showing the final product and unfortunately the picture does not really do it justice, I am really happy with the colour combination and texture combination as well.


Well today was a little bit quieter. I installed the extra trim and trim kit around the garage door. I then installed some flashing on the front garage wall where the brick trim will go. I then quickly went home picked up the Primer paint and finished off the ceiling in the garage with primer. I had initially thought to do the rear gable end however the Sun never did come out and I was looking for the Sun to be shining while working on that south facing gable end, By the time I finished painting the ceiling it was 5pm and to dark to take pictures of the work I did outside. So again you'll have to wait until next week for those pictures.

Next week will be a short week due to the holidays however I hope to prime the walls tomorrow and then work on the gable ends on Monday and Tuesday. I also hope to be able to possibly start moving some stuff from the storage units into the garage next week as well. My Brother and his family are coming down next weekend and possibly those two strapping young lads of his can be coaxed into helping move some of the bulky stuff on Saturday. We'll see what happens.

So to all of you out there Merry Christmas, Joyeux Noel, Felice Navidad, etc etc.
Have a safe and happy holidays.

Harold



No comments:

Post a Comment