Saturday 27 December 2014

Well we had one of those weeks again. They kept talking about a weather bomb hitting our area on Christmas Eve with high winds. So I spent a worried few days watching the weather forecast closely concerned about my roof. Well it happened 84kmh recorded gusts at the local airport and sure enough missing shingles on Christmas day. Well more about this later in the post. First we'll get through the first part of the week. However I promised you some pictures I forgot to take from last week.
First is the flashing to finish the garage door and the second one shows the small roof over the man door.



On Sunday I went into the garage and finished priming the entire garage. I also ran a heavy duty extension cord out there and had a small heater going to try and put some extra heat into the garage for the painting sessions. Here's a picture showing the junk and the primed garage.


On Monday with the nice weather we had I got on the rear porch roof and finished off the south gable end. This included installing flashing, water proof membrane, soffit, facia and board and batten siding. I also installed the flashing for the plumbing vent that comes out this wall. In order to work up there safely I placed two ladders up against the deck facia. I then secured these to the roof with ratchet straps around the roof support beam. I then laid a 4by4 on the roof against the ladder extensions and then laid down a shorter ladder on the roof that I could crawl up and use as support while working on the roof. Hopefully the next pictures help with concept. First picture shows the ladder against the facia with the tie down straps. Second picture is a bigger picture shot showing all the ladders. Third picture shows the job halfway done and the last picture shows the completed gable end. In the third picture you can see the rubber flashing around the vent pipe. On the third and fourth picture you can also see an extra piece of flashing around the pipe. This is a piece of flashing cut out and fitted around the pipe 6in from the wall. It is placed on the vertical and has tar cement around it. This is my first line of defense against any water that might run down the pipe. It will hit this dam and then drip onto the roof below.




On Tuesday I painted the first coat of Semi-gloss white in the garage and then went into the house and ran a few ccts of wire in the basement. At the same time the heating guys were working on installing the furnace and some of the ductwork. 

On Wednesday I painted the second coat of Semi-gloss white in the garage as well as mounted the sub panel for the garage. I also took some pictures of the roof due to the anticipated windstorm we were to receive that night. Here is a picture of the garage with the second coat of paint and the sub panel installed along with the conduit.


Thursday being Christmas I did not do any work. The only thing I did was go out and take pictures of the damaged section of the roofs. Here are before and after pictures of the damage. First two are the west side of the roof and approx 6 shingles damaged. The next two are further down the west roof and it looks like 2-3 shingles are damaged. The next two show the rear porch roof and it took 15 shingles to repair the damage as well I had to re-nail at least 6-8 more shingles around the area. The last two show the garage damage and I estimate another 15 shingles damaged here as well.








On Friday I worked on wiring the lights and one plug cct in the garage. While I did this I had the heater running warming up the spare shingles and a tube of roofing cement. Once the wiring was done and the items were warmed up I went onto the Porch roof and cleared up the mess and removed all the nails that were left. Luckily the sun was shining so hopefully this helped when I repaired the damage. This time the shingles were nailed down with extra nails and dabs of roofing cement to help hold them in place. This is the second time I've had wind damage and I am talking to the company ref getting them to pay for some of the damage. In hindsight I am possibly regretting this shingle purchase. They are really nice looking shingles but the issue with these bent up tabs means installing them anytime but in the middle of the summer means you are taking a chance with them lifting in a storm. If anybody is thinking about these GAF shingles or knows anybody thinking about these shingles tell them to wait at least until summer or even think about a different shingle. I really could not recommend these shingles be installed in cold weather. Here's a picture and you can see the lights on the ceiling and the plugs along the far wall.


Today Saturday went out to the site and decided to work on the front Gable. I went at it the same as the rear setting up the ladders, straps etc. Only issue was the cheap ladder I used on the roof was to long since this roof was smaller than the rear. So out came the sawzall and 2ft were cut off both ladder sections so it would fit on the roof. I also did not have a plumbing vent to contend with so it went much smoother. Once that was finished the brother and his two older sons came out for a look and we also pulled the cable through the conduit for powering up the garage. This is 3 gauge RW90 cable that we pulled through 3in conduit. Now all that remains is to wire it into the panel in the garage and hook up the ground wire to the grounding rod. Then we can fiche the cable into the main house panel and hook it up to a 100amp breaker. Then once inspected we have power in the garage.
Here's a picture showing the front gable end complete and also a picture of the garage panel with the wire pulled through awaiting connection.



Well thats all for now. Next week we'll work on more electrical stuff. I am hoping the electrician will be in the first week of the new year so we can get my insulation in and let the house start to heat itself. As well I will probably start moving stuff from the storage unit into the garage so that I can save the cost of the storage unit. I also hope to hear back from GAF to see what they will do to cover the cost of repairing my roof. So until next week have a safe New Years Eve and remember please don't drink and drive.

Harold









1 comment:

  1. You are a great architect of your own house. I’m just so sorry to hear about the destruction caused by the storm that broke the shingles of your roof, but it looks durable. Anyway, I hope that progress is doing well and that you're well on your way to the end. Thanks for sharing that, Harold! All the best!

    Krystal Patrick @ GNG Solutions For Life

    ReplyDelete