Saturday 10 January 2015

Well another week has gone by and we're a little closer to completion. However we also had fairly major setback. There is a quote that goes around quite often from the movie "Cool Hand Luke" where the prison warden states to Paul Newman and the other prisoners the following "What we've got here is a failure to communicate" Turns out my "communication" with the electrical inspector had a major flaw and that was, what exactly is electrical conduit. Turns out when he arrived on Tuesday to inspect the garage the first question was when we got to the garage was, what wire did you use. RW90 I said which I was told was acceptable. He says it is in "certified electrical conduit" so I said so the Big "O" pipe I used which almost everybody uses as conduit is not good enough. No it isn't he said. So I now have to pull out 30metres of RW90 and replace it with RWU90. The gauge is the same however the insulation is twice as thick on the RWU material and it is even certified for direct burial. So of to the Electrical store to order new wire which should be in early next week. Then we want some warmish weather to pull this stiffer wire through the conduit and into the house and garage.

Well we'll see how that story ends in a future article. For the remainder of the week all I essentially did was wire the house for all the circuits required. I have 36 circuits pulled through and roughed in. On Tuesday the Inspector comes out to inspect these circuits so that I can drywall the ceiling which in turn allows the insulation people to come in and spray foam the insulation in the basement and in the ceiling. Once that's done at least we can heat the house. At the moment all I have going is an electrical construction heater in the basement which manages to keep the basement just above freezing so that the footings don't heave. I have a plastic tarp over the stairwell opening and when you go into the basement it is a big difference from the main floor which has no heat. This meant that the Heating guys had decent conditions this past week while they worked away at installing all the heating ducts. They furnace and ductwork is essentially complete now they just need to install the gas fittings so that we can fire that puppy up once the insulation is installed.

I have also started buying drywall from Home Depot as they are the cheapest and storing it in the house. I need enough to do the ceiling and then we can see about doing the rest of the house. Today I even installed 3 sheets in the living/dining room area where there are no wires or light fixtures in the ceiling, Tomorrow I'll probably install a few more in unwired areas and once the inspection is complete I can finish off the entire ceiling.

I've only got a few photos for this week showing the basement utility room with the wires hanging by the main panel as well as the furnace installation, The third picture is from the kitchen and you can see some of the different circuits there in the walls as well.




That's all I have for this article. Next week I hope to be able to say the drywalling is done and the insulation goes in shortly. Wish me luck on the inspection and until next week stay warm and stay dry.

Harold

No comments:

Post a Comment