Sunday 17 May 2015

The Stone and Brick begin

Well sorry for the late post as well sorry for no pictures as I left the camera at the house.
To be honest very little happened from my point of view this week. I went in on Sunday just to give my basement railings a 4th coat of Varathane. Since I worked on Monday and then Thursday to Saturday all the time I had was on Tuesday and Wednesday at the house. I had made arrangements for the stone and brick to be delivered on Tuesday so I initially started by preparing the area to accept these items. I laid out a large tarp for the sand to sit on and then placed some skids around the house for the  brick cubes to sit on. I knew the materials was coming in three trucks. Sand in one, Stone on another and then finally the brick straight from the company. Sand arrived at 0930 and was placed nicely on the tarp. After he left I used the remaining part of the tarp as well as another tarp to cover the tarp to keep it dry. An hour later the Burnstein truck showed up with my stone, lintels and mortar. We placed the stone around the house and then I proceeded to wait for the brick truck. While waiting I worked on a few small items. I installed the shelves in the two closets in the back room and installed the clothes rod in the larger closet. I also did some cleaning around the house. Finally around 2pm I called Burnstein to find out about the brick truck. The sales rep called me back within 5min and said sorry but the company decided not to come to day and  would come on Wednesday instead due to delivery schedules. So packed it in for the day.
On Wednesday the Masons showed up and started their setup and then started to lay the stone on the West wall. About mid morning the brick truck showed up and they placed the brick around the house. During this time I started installing my tile above the shower on the back wall. I did this in two stages and by mid afternoon the tile was installed. Since I had to work for the remainder of the week I did not finish the other two walls. I plan to finish the tile tomorrow on Monday. Well by the end of the day the Masons had placed stone on half of the west wall.
On Thursday they finished the west wall and on Friday they finished the rear wall and started on the front of the house. I expect they will be back on Tuesday to continue. I theorize they should be finished somewhere around the middle of next week. Once they are finished then I will have the HVAC guys back to install the Air Conditioner and finish their portion of the work. With those two jobs done that should be the end of the trades people working on the house. All the remainder will be done by me unless I win some money.
So today Sunday went out and had a late breakfast at a great little restaurant in Niagara Falls called the Sunset Grill. This is on the same plaza as Lowes and we were going to go there to pick up some items on their beat the tax days. This restaurant specializes in eggs and is only open for the breakfast and lunch crowd. Their portions are large and the meals are great. For info their omelets are 6 egg omelets. So after breakfast over to Lowes to pickup my bathroom vanity and vanity top. As well I picked up some Rubbermaid shelving units and Mom and my sister picked out the paint for my spare bedroom and bathroom. The colours are Sweet Carolina and Ironclad which are in the green family. The plan is to paint the bathroom and the headboard area with one colour and the rest of the bedroom with the other colour. Not sure when I'll get around to it but I do plan on doing this soon before I start on the flooring.
Well that's all for now. I hope all you Canadians have a great Victoria day weekend.

Harold

No comments:

Post a Comment