Saturday 4 July 2015

Bring on the dance band

Well the deck is essentially done. I still need to do some trimming and will need to install a set of steps and railings but the basic deck is done.
So this past week went as follows. As stated previously I had to work on Monday and Tuesday however I still managed to dig a trench on Monday night for my cable connection. I have a small piece of conduit that came out of the house about 20ft away from where the cable conduit was brought to the house by the contractors. So I dug a trench and laid in some 1/2" conduit from my pipe to their pipe which comes up by the Hydro meter. Unfortunately I was 4ft short of pipe so could not finish it on Monday and had to wait until I picked up another length of conduit on Tuesday. Here is a picture showing the end of the pipe by the service prior to the last section being installed. All I need now is a small box to mount on the side of the house to house the connection point and fish some cable through the conduit. Once that's done then need to contact the local cable company and get an internet connection back up and running. Here's a picture showing this.


On Wednesday I started working on installing the Soffit material. To refresh your memory this is 1by8 tongue and groove pine that I bought a couple of weeks ago. One little detail that I did was cut a 45degree bevel cut on each end of the board so that they would essentially overlap each other at the joints instead of having butt joints. The first row had two electrical boxes that needed to be cut out and then lowered so that I could reinstall the plates properly. About an 2 hours later I had to cut around 4 of my pot lights. This actually worked out really well, I had cut out a hole in a piece of material and once I proved that it was the right size I used it as a template to draw the other holes and then used a jigsaw to cut out the hole. Now however I need to find some trim kits that don't cost more than the light fixture did  in the first place. Once we got past the lights I needed to remove a bird's nest from the rafters. Unfortunately the birds were not to happy with this and I made sure to get enough soffiting up so that they could not get back up there over night. They actually spent a lot of Thursday flying around trying to get back to where their nest had been. Here are some pictures showing the first few rows and then the condition at end of day. As well you can see where I had my mitre saw cutting the boards although I moved it to the other side of the deck in the afternoon as I needed access to the soffit area where the saw had been standing.



On Thursday after moving all the material off the concrete from my cold storage I could continue on framing out the deck. I did this by laying sleepers on the concrete. I initially moved a mark level with the two end joists onto the house wall. I then secured a 2by4 to the house with the top even with a chalk line between these two points. I then laid out each sleeper separately drew a straight line from the 2by4 to the end of the joists already installed. I then cut down the 2by6 sleepers to the line drawn, then painted the material with special moisture preventative material and installed the sleeper on the concrete. After 15 sleepers were installed we had a picture that looks like this.


I then laid down the decking as I did on the rest of the deck and once this was done used my scaffolding to finish installing the soffit material. By 6pm we had a picture that looked like these with decking and soffiting complete.


I am quite pleased with the look of the soffiting. Since I had to work on Friday and Saturday this is where I sit. Come Tuesday I will most likely start work on the front deck and we'll see how that goes. Thankfully it looks as if I should have enough material to do the entire Soffit in the front with the 1by8 tongue and groove as well. 

Well until next week I hope you all had great days on your respective holidays and look forward to the remainder of the Summer.

Harold





No comments:

Post a Comment