Saturday 26 September 2015

Yeah we have Grass

Well I got bored out of my skull sitting around so checked into it and I was allowed to do some light work around the house while waiting for my hand to heal. This past week Monday was allowed to remove the cast so have even more mobility. Have my stitches out next week Wednesday and we'll see what the Doc says however expect light duties for another 2 weeks.
So as I said in the title we have grass. After 2 weeks this is what the front lawn looks like today.


So last week while I still had the cast on I managed to prime the lower cabinets, however it was not as easy as I thought it would be so decided to wait till this week before I did more work.
This week Wednesday I spent some time putting all the face frame pieces on the lower cabinets. In case I did not mention it earlier the carcass is made with Poplar plywood 3/4" thick and the face frames are made from 3/4" solid poplar lumber. For the lower cabinets I broke it down into 3 sections with the third section being the area where the laundry sink will go. In the other two sections I also built in two drawers. By the end of the day the cabinets were framed out and the drawer parts were cut out. Here are two pictures showing the lower cabinets and then the parts for the drawers minus the drawer bottoms. As you can tell by the second photo the drawers are based on the process of an interlocking corner and then groove for plywood bottom.


On Thursday we built the drawers and sanded and rounded over all the edges on the lower cabinets. I then test fit the drawers and realized my tolerances were to tight and had to spend some time sanding down the sides of the drawers where the drawer slides go to allow the drawers to move smoothly. Here is a picture showing all the parts awaiting paint.


On Friday and Saturday I spent time first putting a coat of primer on the cabinets and then a coat of semigloss on the lower cabinets. At the same time I coated the drawers with three coats of waterbased varathane. I still plan on at least one more coat of semigloss on the cabinets however I think the drawers are complete. Later on Saturday afternoon I installed 6 sheets of 1/4" mahogany plywood on the framework of my wainscotting. Later next week I plan to go to Toronto to buy 6 sheets of 1/4" Teak plywood to install over the Mahogany plywood. This will give me a 1/2" thick sheeting and a nice looking wainscotting. Here are two pictures showing the cabinets with 2 coats of paint and the second photo shows the Mahogany plywood installed.


Well that's where we're at as of now. Hopefully this coming week will allow some more work to be done and hopefully the Doc is happy with my hand and its progress. So until next week have a great fall.

Harold






2 comments:

  1. Curious, why 1/4 mahogany as underlayment for 1/4 teak? Why not something a bit less costly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the mahogany was cheaper than regular plywood.
      Harold

      Delete