Saturday 21 February 2015

Drywall is beginning to lose it's lustre

Well for the past week I've still been working on drywall but now in the basement. I've also installed all the corner bead upstairs in preparation for the mudding and taping. I just hope they have no issues with it or if they do we can fix it quickly. I installed the plastic corner bead as it was I thought easier for me to install. In hindsight I should have used the metal stuff and left it for the mudding crew to install when they put the first coat of mud up.
One thing I realized was that I did not give you a picture of the water system in the house. As mentioned I went with a manifold system in the utility room. This means that every water using appliance has a hose that goes from it to the utility room. There are no joints in between. This was the ideal plan however since I had more points than the manifold would accept without paying lots of money, the basement bathroom is on one line and there are joints in that system but they are in the basement in the utility wall so would not create a huge issue if they leaked down the road. Here is a picture showing this hot and cold manifold, as well you can see the natural gas manifold on the right side of the picture.


I took Sunday off and just wandered around Lowes looking at stuff and picking up some of the cornerbead I would require for the house. Later I realized I had not bought enough so went to the Rona store in St Catharines for more and their plastic cornerbead was of much better quality than the stuff I bought at Lowes. Rona's seemed to be a little thicker and sturdier than the Lowe's product.

Anyway over the week I slowly worked on doing some drywall in the basement. The one rec room is done, one bedroom is done, the bathroom is done and the second rec room was almost done until I had to remove 4 sheets this morning. The intake and exhaust for the furnace go down one of the joist cavities in this rec room. I noticed that the intake pipe was sweating condensate due the cold weather outside and warm air inside. The HVAC guys were going to bring an insulating tube down next time they came however they have not been. So I thought I would just insert some pink fibreglass insulation around the pipe and this should work. Well it didn't there was a little drip coming down between the seams of the drywall so down came four sheets and out came the fibre glass. Some of the fibreglass had even frozen to the pipe right by the exterior wall. So I guess we'll have to wait for the insulating tube to come and hopefully that will prevent the condensation from forming. 
I also installed some copper piping from the sink area to the fridge are for future considerations with the fridge and ice making capabilities. Since I ran this under the floor I needed to do this prior to drywalling the second bedroom. However I also need the HVAC guys to run their Air Conditioning pipes in the joist cavities as well so until they are done I cannot finish drywalling this bedroom. Here is a picture of the one bedroom drywalled. I don't have a picture of the bathroom but lets face it it's just a bathroom nothing special.


Now initially I had hoped to have the mudding and taping start on Thursday. However Thursday came and went and no crew. I'm not sure what happened I do know it took me two days to contact him and his comment was that he had lost his phone and had no method to contact me. So he now advises they will be there Monday morning and he assures me by Saturday they will be done. Because of all this there were a few days where I did not spend the entire day at the house as I am running out of easy work to do there. I have some outside work but that is waiting for warmer weather and melting snow. I did decide to try and fix up my heating system in the garage. I bought a ceiling mounted heater but it did not come with a thermostat. Since it runs off of a 30 Amp cct I needed to insert a relay/contactor in the cct between the heater and the service panel. This contactor would be run by a standard line thermostat. Theory was that the thermostat would pass 120v current to the relay to engage it when called for by the heat setting. Relay engages and heater starts up. My intent was to keep the temp just above freezing maybe 5C in the garage. I also decided to insert an electronic timer in the mix such that the thermostat would only work between 7pm and 7am when we have cheap electric rates as compared to day time rates. I was almost done when I realized the thermostat I bought would only go down to 10C and no lower. So I now need to find a line thermostat that has a range from 0C to 20C at the most. So on to Google and Amazon later to search one out. Since I could not finish this job I decided to at least mud and tape the storage room in the basement. By doing this room I can use it for storage as intended as well the wiring cct in this room also has the sump pump on it and once the room is mudded and taped I can install the electrics and at least let the sump pump work normally instead of on an extension cord. Here is a picture showing my first coat of mud on this room.


It's not perfect but then it's only a storage room. Great spot to practice on.
Well it's snowing again and the cold weather just won't leave. Not only that I can't win on the lottery so no nice trips to the sunny south for me. 
Well until next week, keep warm and enjoy yourselves.

Harold



2 comments: