Saturday 7 February 2015

Word of the week is Drywall

Well another week has gone by and we are a little closer to an occupancy certificate. I guess we'll start with the fact that no work was done on Monday. We had a snow day here with miserable conditions. I was kept at home by the weather until just after noon hour when all I did was go to the house to clear the driveway so the plumber could come to work on Tuesday. Speaking of which I had the plumber at the house from Tuesday to Friday installing all the water lines throughout the house. I went with a manifold Pex system which means that in the utility room are two copper manifolds with 10 side spouts. Each spout gets a plastic line which goes to each individual plumbing station. So each tap has it's on line back to the manifold. This means that there are no joints buried in the walls upstairs. Due to having the third bathroom in the basement we ran out of points so the basement bathroom has everything on one spout but that joint is in the basement and if it leaks will just follow the concrete to the floor drain. I also had a laundry tub installed in the basement so I now have a place to wash up or get drinking water. The only issue that arose was that on Thursday night after they pressurized the system something went haywire with the ensuite shower valve. Luckily I had decided to go back to the house to turn on an electric heater since I had shorted out a fuse on the furnace earlier in the day while disconnecting the thermostat while drywalling. I noticed water on the basement floor dripping from the ensuite area. I turned off the water and drained the system. On Friday the plumber was there checking it out and to the best of our knowledge we believe the valve stem is defective. So on Monday will call Price Pfister and get a new valve stem shipped out.

I also had the HVAC guys out on  Friday and they finished off the HRV(Heat recovery ventilator) installation and then installed the gas lines for my stove, dryer and BBQ.

During all this time I was busy installing Drywall. The house sure looks a lot different when you can't see through the walls anymore. I believe that I have about 75% of the main floor done and around 35% of the basement done. The basement will still take some time since some areas cannot be done until all the services are done. The plumbing is done but we still need to run some piping for the Air Conditioner. Here are some pictures showing the drywall status. First two pictures were after the first real day of installing drywall. I started on the exterior walls with 9ft sheets. These two pictures show the two bedrooms. The third picture shows the completed hallway at the end of day on Saturday. We now have both bedrooms done as well as most of ensuite bathroom and closet. I've also done some drywalling in the back entrance way as well as some of the wall space in the living dining room area. The last picture shows the scaffolding we used to install the drywall sheets on the stairwell area.




So for the next few days I will try and finish all the drywalling on the main floor and in the stairwell to the basement. I am still looking around for a good mudding and taping crew so if anybody reads this in the Niagara on the lake area and knows of a good drywall crew please leave me a message below. Well have a great week and be careful on Friday as it is a Friday the 13th.

Till later see ya.

Harold

2 comments:

  1. curious about the inset in the wall in picture 2??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In order to not cut into the insulated panels that make up the exterior wall I built some false walls in some of the rooms to run the electrical wires. In the two bedrooms there are two small false walls either side of where the headboard would be. So I built the two walls such that the space between them was enough room to allow the King size headboard that I have to fit up against the exterior wall and a queen size headboard to fit up against the wall in the spare bedroom. Hope this answers your question.

      Delete