Sunday 21 June 2015

Making small bricks out of larger bricks

Well the die is cast. I've spent my first night at the new house. It will still be quite a while before all the work is done however I'll now be able to stay in the house about 5-6 nights a week. I'll come back to Mom's place at least every Saturday night so that I can do laundry on Sunday morning. So lets see how we came to this momentous occasion.
On Sunday I painted some quarter round for the bedroom. As well I moved dirt into the back porch area and cleaned up some of the left over mortar from when the bricklayers were there. Had some rain so did not do quite as much as I could have.
On Tuesday I installed the quarter round in the Master Bedroom and then had the Brother in law help with moving the bed into the room. The plan was to look at spending Wednesday night there so that I could go from my house to work which is only one Km away. I knew that I would not be able to move the night stands or the dresser as they were buried deeper in the garage and did not want to move all that stuff just to get them. However I thought I had left the box with the bedding out so that it was easily accessible however could not find it. As I have a California King bed suite sheets are not that easy to come by. So had to order a new set through Amazon which would be delivered on Friday. After all this was done went back to moving dirt to level off the back porch area prior to putting down the broken up brick and then joists for the decking.
On Wednesday I received a load of lumber from a specialty wood store about 1/2hrs drive away. This was 1300 lineal feet of 1by8 tongue and groove pine that will be used for the soffits above the decks as well as 400ft of 1by6 fir that will be used for the Freize boards around the house below the soffit. Once this was stacked on the cold storage roof area of the deck went out and bought some 2by10's to be used as joists for the decking. I also secured a 2by10 to the concrete blocks specially installed below the stone work as a rim joist and then installed a 2by6 just underneath this that was secured to the concrete basement wall by 1/2" concrete lags and anchors. Here's a picture of the deck area before the first of joists was installed. As well the Rim joist was not yet installed.


So on Thursday I was working at Penner's when I get a call from Mom. At first I thought she was telling me the parcel had come. However what she said was that she'd found a set of my sheets in a cupboard area. After I got home I realized I had brought sheets to Mom's place so they could be washed and then I stuck them in the small desk cupboard in the spare bedroom and completely forgot about this. So we now have spare sheets. Later after work I went to the house and proceeded to break up  a wheelbarrow's worth of small brick chips. More on this later. 
On Saturday I spent the entire day either breaking up bricks for under the deck or installing joists as we moved along. Here are two pictures one showing the work being down the other at the end of the day with the last doubled up joist installed and the brick chips laying underneath.




So here's what I mean by all this. When the neighbours house was being built they had a lot of broken bricks laying about. Now to dispose of them would cost a fair amount of money at the dump since the tipping fee is based on weight. So I told the contractor they could clean up all the brick and put it on my driveway by the garage and then I would spend some time breaking it up into 1" sized chunks, or there about, and use it under the deck. So under the deck over the dirt I spread out some landscape fabric or what we also call weed preventative fabric and then laid the brick chips on top of it. It took 6-8 wheelbarrow loads to cover the ground under 6ft of deck and it took me 45min to break up enough brick to fill each wheelbarrow load. So I spent a lot of time breaking up the bricks. Here is a photo showing the area where I was breaking the brick. I have broken up a little over 1/3 of the brick that was laying there and as of now I still have 12 feet of rear deck and the entire front deck area to cover. Now where are those two strapping young nephews when you need them to do grunt work. Oh they're on vacation. Maybe next time.


So now that I had sheets I finally made the bed and spent Saturday night in my new house. At this time as mentioned earlier I'll most likely spend 5-6nights there a week and a couple at Mom's until I get my kitchen installed.  Here's a picture showing the bed with sheets. And for those interested that's a 59 Corvette in the picture. Now if only there were a real one in the drive way.


Today I spent about 6hours working on the rear deck and breaking up more bricks. I'll probably need to spend at least 4-6 hours on Tuesday finishing off the joists and then I plan on putting the decking on and then starting the work on soffit installation. I would really like to get the soffit installed before some of the local critters find it an easy avenue into my attic area. As it is i've already had some birds nesting in the rafters above the decks. One nest is already gone and another one will be shortly.

Well until next week have a great summer because as we all know we've pass the summer solstice and the days will start getting shorter.

Harold

No comments:

Post a Comment