Saturday 24 October 2015

Living room is looking good

Well we had a little change of plans. Instead of starting on the kitchen cabinets this week decided to finish the trim in the living room/dining room area. Oh well just means we start the cabinets at a later date.
So last Sunday we  gave the wainscoting it's 3rd coat of varathane over the whole area. Then on Monday after work we just varathaned the top rail of the wainscoting. This will probably get one more coat before we finish the trim on it.

On Tuesday we spent some time in the morning painting up the majority of the trim that will be required in the Living room, Dining room and Kitchen area. As mentioned before because of the way I am building the house and living in it I paint the trim at least twice before installing it and then once the nail holes are filled in and smoothed over I carefully go over most of the trim with a third coat of paint. After going to a noon hour appointment came home and finished installing the trim for the Master bathroom and closet area. As you'll see in the photos there are no doors however you will notice a closet rod in the doorway area. I will be installing a curtain as door way instead of solid door. I expect that most of the time the curtain will remain wide open. So here are two photos showing the trim painted and the doorways trimmed.


On Wednesday I gave the trim it's second coat of paint and then proceeded to mix up the grout I was going to use to grout the tiles above the shower in the spare bathroom. Unfortunately I probably added about 30ml of water too much. It took over 45 min for the grout to set-up enough to allow me to spread it out on the vertical shower walls. Once installed in the tile slots it set up normally. By the time I had spread out all my grout it was time to start wiping down the tiles where I had started installing the grout. After an initial cleaning we waited an hour and then cleaned it once more. Then I gave it a final wipedown about 3hrs later. I still need to seal the grout but it looks good. I did learn one thing though. There is green painters tape and blue painters tape here. I was always told the blue stuff was the better product and had lower adhesion capability. Well I use it and the green tape to tape paper up on the ceiling and side walls to protect the area from grout. Well the blue tape peeled paint away and the green did not. So we now need to touch up the ceiling before we paint the walls in the bathroom. Anyway here is a photo showing the completed tile area in the shower stall. It actually turned out quite well and I actually like this tile better than the tile I used in my Master bathroom. However I am not going to change it.


Next day we worked on the house was today, Saturday. Today we spent time working on trimming out the small bookcase and all the windows in the Living room, dining room and kitchen area. Area as well we installed the teak trim on the top of the wainscoting. It actually went really nicely and all that it needs now is the final coat of paint over the trim to blend in the nail holes after being filled with wood filler. Here are some shots showing the trim work as well as a close up of the teak trim.




So as of now will spend some time on Sunday painting the bathroom ceiling and then the trim. Once that is done will cleanup the bath and bedroom in preparation for painting the walls. As well I'll make up my materials list and start work on the upper cabinets for the kitchen area. So until next week have a great time and be careful next week Saturday with all the kids walking around for trick or treat on Halloween.

Harold





No comments:

Post a Comment