Saturday 30 January 2016

Short update on the kitchen

Well the only thing that happened this week was the installation of the tiled backsplash. I initially started on the north wall which has the fridge and stove in it. We then went around the corner to the sink. I kept this tile level all the way around and stopped right beside the window. The reason for this was that if I tiled under the window area I would have to cut a lot of tiles since they did not fit without cutting. Therefore I decided to install one piece of solid surface countertop as a backsplash under the window. I therefore am having the countertop people cut and polish a piece about 39in by 6.5in for this area. After we finished this area I had the Sister and husband in to talk about how to finish the other side. We  all agreed that continuing at the same level and then going over the small table top would be a good way to finish the tiling. With that decision done I tiled the small area that will be under the eat in counter area on the south wall and then finished off the east wall over the countertop and then over the table top area. This work was all done over Tuesday and Wednesday. Today we spent the morning and early afternoon grouting all the tile work. After cleaning it off a few times and once the grout was more or less set I reinstalled the plugs and switches and that's where we sit at this time. So now that this work is done I can start bringing up the boxes with all my kitchen stuff and start filling in the drawers and cupboards. I still need to finish installing the under cabinet lighting and later this spring I'll start working on building cupboard doors. But for now we have a reasonably functional kitchen, or at least we will after I buy a fridge and stove. So here are some pictures showing the tile installation and then what it looks like after the grouting was complete.





Well I hope that by the end of Wednesday I'll have the remainder of the floor installed and possibly working on some of the trim if I get enough painted. After that I'll work on the flooring in the back entrance. I want to get that done before I get the laundry machines installed.

Well that's all for now see you next week for another installment.

Harold

No comments:

Post a Comment