Saturday 28 March 2015

Any one for some chocolate???

Well there is some colour now in the house in various rooms. As referenced by the title the bedroom has it's "chocolate" brown colouration. I've even heard rumours that the brother was so enamoured with the colours they may repaint their bedroom as well :-):-):-). So how did all this colour get there and when is now the story.
I'll start on Monday with the plan of painting. However when I got to the house it was a little chilly. I had turned off the furnace the previous Saturday while doing some drywall in the basement and forgot to turn it back on. So I decided it would be a good time to finish all the drywall in the basement. Well by midday it was done, so I loaded up the truck with all the scrap drywall for delivery to the dump later that day. To finish off the day I installed all the plugs, switches, and lights in the basement with the exception of the north bedroom. Since this bedroom is all drywalled and mudded I might give it a coat of primer before I install the electrics.
Well by Tuesday the temp was just fine so we gave the ceiling a light sanding and the painted the second coat of flat ceiling paint. One thing I noticed right away was that I was having a lot of small threads in the paint at times. I initially thought it was the paint rollers but it happened with multiple rollers. In the end I think it was a multitude of issues. Some roller were better than others so age had a bearing as well I noticed that the second can of paint was better than the first. In the end it all worked out however I did spend some time during the painting to stop and remove blemishes. I really hoped that after this coat was done the ceiling would be done.
Well when I came into the house on Wednesday morning and looked at the ceiling I had to roll out at third coat. I'm sure this is when people would say you should of hired a pro. Well that may be the case but I'm still cheaper than they are. So another day was spent giving the ceiling a light sanding and then putting on a third coat. This time I was real careful and made sure there was good overlap as well as rolling in two directions at ninety degrees to each other.
So Thursday I came to the house and looked at the ceiling. It was not perfect. It was a lot better than before but there are still areas in sunlight where you can see roller marks. Well there would be no fourth coat. I'm leaving it as is and we'll see if maybe it changes with a little more time to dry. So I then went and painted the second coat of light brown in the Master bedroom on the rear wall and ceiling. I also painted the Master bath with a blue coloured paint. Man was this paint thick, you could almost spoon it out like porridge.  Well here us a picture of the bathroom.


So on Friday I decided to paint the stairwell as I had installed my scaffolding in there to be able to reach the ceiling to cut in the wall paint. So we climbed the scaffolding and cut in the wall paint. Since it was a little unstable I used painters tape to help with the cutting in so that I would not get any paint on the ceiling. Here is a pictures of the scaffold. I installed that scaffold and then used a piece of 2by10 lumber on the rungs of the scaffold and the stepladder. By standing on the 2by10 I was high enough to comfortably cut in the wall paint. The second picture is once the painting was all done before I removed the actual scaffold.

I then went and painted the second coat of blue in the bathroom and painted the first coat of dark brown in the master bedroom. Once you see this picture you'll understand the title of this piece.
I know that my brother is not fond of these colours but so far I am quite happy with them. Once the trim is in and the doors are installed it will be a nice cosy sleeping area.


So this brings us to today, Saturday. Well today we painted the living, dining room, kitchen and hallway. As the day progressed I became much more proficient at cutting in the paint at the wall/ceiling interface. It took some time but by mid afternoon these rooms were all done. Here are two photos showing this.


I have also picked up the material I needed for the underfloor heat in the master bathroom. I am using what is called Ditra heat from Schluter. Hopefully by the end of the week this will be installed and possibly the floor tiles as well. I also picked up the wood flooring for the Master bedroom so once the bathroom is finished we'll be able to install the flooring in the bedroom. I'll probably also take some time this week to work on the wiring for upstairs. After I put my second coat on the walls I'll be able to install all the plugs and light switches. After all the sooner that is done the sooner I can get my final electrical inspection. 

Well that's all for this week. I'll see you again in a weeks time.

Harold

1 comment:

  1. well...your sister(who helped you pick out the chocolate) loves the colour!!!!

    ReplyDelete